Today we announced an exciting collaborative effort with AT&T Labs that will facilitate the integration of Continuuity BigFlow, our distributed framework for building durable high-throughput real-time data processing applications, with AT&T’s streaming analytics tool, an extremely fast, low-latency streaming analytics database originally built out of the necessity for managing its network at scale. The outcome of this joint endeavor is to make a new project, codenamed jetStream, available to the market as an Apache-licensed open source project with general availability in the third quarter of 2014.
Why are we combining our technologies?
We decided to bring together the complementary functionality of BigFlow and AT&T’s streaming analytics tool to create a unified real-time framework that combines in-memory stream processing with model-based event processing including direct integration for a variety of existing data systems like Apache HBase™ and HDFS. By combining AT&T’s low-latency and declarative language support with BigFlow’s durable, high-throughput computing capabilities and procedural language support, jetStream provides developers with a new way to take in and store vast quantities of data, build massively scalable applications, and update your applications in real-time as new data is ingested.
Moving to real-time data applications
When you look at the wealth of data being generated and processed, and the opportunity within that data, giving more organizations the ability to make informed, real-time decisions with data is critical. We believe that the next commercial opportunity in big data is moving beyond ad-hoc, batch analysis to a real-time model where applications serve relevant data continuously to business users and consumers.
Open sourcing jetStream and making it available within Continuuity Reactor will enable enterprises and developers to create a wide range of big data analytics and streaming applications that address a broad set of business use cases. Examples of these include network intrusion detection and network analytics, real-time analysis for spam filtering, social media market analysis, location analytics, and real-time recommendation engines that match relevant content to the right users at the right time.
New developer features
By using jetStream, developers will be able to do the following:
- Direct integration of real-time data ingestion and processing applications with Hadoop and HBase and utilization of YARN for deployment and resource management
- Framework-level correctness, fault tolerance guarantees, and application logic scalability that reduces friction, errors, and bugs during development
- A transaction engine that provides delivery, isolation and consistency guarantees that enable exactly-once processing semantics
- Scalability without increased operational cost of building and maintaining applications
- Develop pipelines that combine in-memory continuous query semantics with persistent, procedural event processing with simple Java APIs
For more information, please visit jetStream.io.